Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Vista laptop not connecting to wireless router

My modem/wireless router died and I got a replacement which turned out to be a Pace model 4111N.

Everything seemed OK, however when I tried to connect an old Vista laptop (actually two of them), it wouldn't connect to the internet.  I would get a local only connection.  My Windows 8 laptop, iPad, Apple TV, Roku all connect OK to the Pace.

However, while waiting for the replacement modem/router, I hooked up an replacement DSL modem along with my old Belkin router.  And that worked.  [And in fact, hooking up my Belkin router into the Pace modem worked too.]

So apparently it's a problem with certain routers with certain computers.

Similarly, I took the Vista laptop to my mom's place which has two networks set up.  I was able to connect to the internet on one of the networks.  But on the other one, I get a local only connection.

Anyway, apparently this is a common problem.  However finding the solution is not common.

First I tried this solution from youtube.  The suggested fix was to go to Manage Network Connections.  Go to the Wireless Network Connection Properties.  Then to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) properties and make sure that that it wasn't using a fixed IP address and to Obtain an IP address automatically.  It wasn't using using a fixed IP address.

Next another suggested solution from youtube was to turn of TCP/IPv6.  Tried it.  Didn't work.

Next was to reset winsock.
reboot

nope

this video suggest using Google's DNS server 8.8.8.8

nope.  still connects to the Tsunami network, but not CCOH

not going to be as easy as I thought it might be.

try the automated fix from Microsoft suggested here (I saw this before but couldn't find it again until now).

nope.  I had high hopes for that one.

did an ipconfig and looked up the ipaddrees and default gateway address and entered it in the ipv4 properties.  didn't work.  connect back to tsunami and set to autodetect.  working again.  the ip4 address for tsunami is 192.168.0.193.  the ip4 address for ccoh is 178.168.10.142 with the default gateway 178.168.10.1 (which is kind of odd).

back to the Microsoft fix and try fix it manually.  The ServiceName for the wireless network adapter starts with 3535...  OK next step is change the value of broadcast flag,  DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag.

Shucks, I thought that one would work.

[11/27/14]  Took the laptop home and disappointingly it didn't connect to my home network either.  So the problem continues..

google some more

This guy got it working by changing the channel on the router.  But I don't want to touch the settings on the router even if I could.  I think the Hawaiiantelcom password protected it.  I remember when I tried going into the modem configuration with the password written on the modem, I couldn't get in.

Hey maybe I'll try Hawaiiantel support.  Maybe I might luck out.  Some of them seem to know what they're doing.

This post had the problem as DHCP not enabled.

Unfortunately when I looked, DHCP was enabled.  I did note it had somewhat an odd IPv4 address of 169.254.201.157.  I think when it connected the IP address was a more normal 192.196.xxx.xxx.

I can ping the 169.254.201.157 which I think is the router, but I can't seem to ping anything else.

Change back to Obtain DNS Server address automatically.  And now when I ipconfig /all, the default gateway address is blank.

Connected the ethernet cable.  The IPv4 address is 192.168.200.73.  The default gateway is 192.168.200.1.  And DHCP server is the same address.

Checking my desktop which is also hardwired, the IPv4 address is 192.168.200.64.  The default gateway and DHCP server is the same address as above.

***

Here's another potential solution.  It looks like this guy had the same problem.  The solution was to update the driver for the wireless network card.  It's the same card as in the Compaq laptop.  Atheros AR5007.  Unfortunately the link for the driver is broken.  Maybe this link will work?

*** [8/15/15]

My Pace DSL modem/router died and I started using a Comtrend (that I got from Allie) in conjunction with my old Belkin router.  In the meantime, I got another Pace from Evelyn (not sure why she had it, but she was using a different model).  I wasn't really using it, but decided to hook it up for testing or something.  And I tried to connect the Vista laptop to it.  And it worked.  Beats me.  Don't know why it's working when it didn't work with the other Pace.  But I'm not complaining.  So now I'm using this Pace for now.

No comments: