Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pace 4111N DSL modem/router connection problems

My old Motorola DSL modem/wireless router combo stopped working.  No lights.  So I got a replacement from Hawaiian Telcom.

In the meantime, I used a Comtrend DSL modem (that I got when Allie got her Hawaiian Telcom modem replaced, but I wanted a wireless router, but they couldn't cancel the first order, so she got two modems) with my old Belkin router.  Anyway, that seemed to work OK.  Plus it doesn't give me interference on the cordless phone that I use.

Anyway, the replacement modem came and it's a Pace modem, not a Motorola.

Hooked it up, straight-forward enough.  Connects to my Apple TV fine.  Connects to my iPad fine.

But when I tried to connect two laptops running Vista, both of them connected locally to the router, but not to the internet.

Googling, I found this link from thebitguru.com.  Have to try it later.  But I'm posting it here so I don't lose the link (that I looked up on my ipad).

*** [11/8/14]

Connected fine with my Windows 8 laptop.  So maybe it is a problem with Vista.

***  [6/13/15] see this link for more

No comments: