Monday, May 19, 2014

Roku 2

OK, I'm dissatisfied with the Roku 3's quirks (though I'd probably get used to it after a while), so I went nuts and bought a Roku 2 from Best Buy.  Went nuts, meaning I didn't buy it on sale.  I could have gotten it cheaper online (no sales tax), but I got it at Best Buy so it would be easier to return it.

Anyway, the problems with the Roku 3 (detailed elsewhere) is that youtube captions display partially off the screen.  And the Netflix app doesn't use the system captions and doesn't have a "more like" listing (which the Roku HD aoo has).

The advantages of the Roku 3 is that it's much faster than the HD.  So youtube is more responsive.  And Hulu Plus doesn't lock up when turning on captions.

We'll see if the Roku 2 solves the Roku 3 problems and while keeping the advantages of the HD.

OK, open box.  The form factor looks similar to the Roku 3 (rounded corners) and feels lighter than the Roku 3.  The remote control also feels lighter and has four instant access buttons: MGo, Amazon, Netflix, Blockbuster.  Blockbuster seems like an odd choice.  I wonder if the buttons are customizable? (Apparently not.)

The Roku 2 is supposed to use the same power supply as the Roku 3, so I'll just plug it in that way.  It come with composite cables, but I'll just use the ones connected to my TV.

Yep, it definitely is lighter.  Has composite inputs in the back instead of the ethernet port on the Roku 3.  And doesn't have a usb port.

The remote is much lighter than the Roku HD remote and yes (after weighing them) is somewhat lighter than the Roku 3 remote, but doesn't feel that much different (which is why I had to weight them to be sure).

Setup begins.

Please select your language: English

Get ready to stream!  You'll complete guided setup in three simple steps:
connect to your network
get the latest software
activate your Roku

Continue

Just select your wireless network
Enter the network password [the Roku HD remote works, but not the Roku 3]
Connect
taking a while

Can't connect to Roku
Unable to connect to Roku.  Please try again later (error Code 011).  Contact Roku support at roku.com/support

Try again (is the only option given)

This time it worked.

Get the latest software
Now your Roku will get the latest software.  Once the update is installed, it will restart automatically.

Continue

Updating softare
Your Roku will automatically restart once the update is installed

From an internet connected device, go to roku.com/link.  Then enter the code: HGBE

[on computer] Add some channels to your account (on the computer).  Unselect Target Ticket, Blockbuster on Demand, Quello Concerts, Amazon Cloud Player (even though they're all free).

Continue

You're Done!  Happy Streaming

[back to the Roku screen]  Channel update x of 26 (I thought I had only 20 channels installed?)

In the meantime, let's try this Target Ticket promotion (you get 10 free UltraViolet titles).  I suspect though, I'll have a hard time finding 10.   [Here's a list from last year.  Well maybe Johnny English, Space Jam.  I already have Big Trouble In Little China, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Italian Job on DVD (and also currently streaming on Netflix)]  I think I'll pass for now.  I'll look later.

OK, got the moving Roku screensaver on (since I've been busy looking at the free movies from Target).

Press OK

Congratulations!  You're done and everything loogs good.  Let's start streaming

The screen shows I have 20 channels (don't know why it was updating 26).  And not in an particular order that I can see.

Settings
Display type is 4:3, change to 16:9
Turn captions to On (from instant replay)

Yep, the Roku 3 remote works only with the Roku 3

Let's try Netflix.

Are you a Netflix Member?  Yes
Enter your Netflix email address  *******@*****.***

Next

Enter your Netflix password *******

Sign in

OK, looks like the old Netflix app with the option to view more like this when you press * and with the Roku subtitles.  I think the Roku 3 video looks nicer on HDMI, but it's OK

1 for 1

Let's try Hulu Plus.  Takes a little while to load

Log in

Please visit www.hulu.com/activate on your computer and enter this code or Log in with your email address and password

[let's try that the computer way]

Log in to hulu.com, enter activation code, activate

Hulu Plus has been activated on your Roku
You can start watching Hulu Plus now

Let's try Cesar 911 Attack Dogs, Resume Episode
turn on captions, turn off autoplay
(not very responsive to remote in doing the above)
let's see if it can play the entire show without locking

still uses their own caption setting (so I still like Apple TV's captions better)

played right through with the captions on without locking up.  So thumbs up.

The Roku 3 is still better as it's more responsive, but the Roku 2 is definitely better than the Roku HD here.

Now for the moment of truth.  YouTube.

Pretty sluggish compared to the Roku 3, but much faster the the Roku HD.

Search for natgeowild, pull up Wonder Horse (and episode of The Incredible Dr. Pol).  Captions play fine.

Last test.  Let me see if the headphone jack works.

Plug in my Panasonic earbuds.  It works.

Sounds a little tinny though.  Let's try the Roku 3 and compare.  Yep, definitely a lot faster than the Roku 2.  Sounds about the same I guess.  Maybe a little higher on the Roku 2?  (had to pair the Roku 2 remote to the Roku 3 in settings before it worked)  I also see a small indicator at the top right when I change the volume.

OK, I guess this is a keeper.

I definitely prefer the speed of the Roku 3 on youtube and hulu, but the Roku 2 solves the youtube caption problem.  Plus it runs the older Netflix app which uses the Roku system captions and has the "more like this" feature that are missing in the new app.  (Now if they upgrade the Netflix app for the Roku 2, then I'm screwed there.)

***

Hmm..  I lost the remote connection on my Roku 2 controller.  Switched back to the Roku 2 and it says no roku enhanced remotes paired.

Tried power off and power on.  Nope.

New batteries.  Use Roku HD remote to go to remote pairing.  And after a while it paired up.

Not leaving well enough alone, let's put back the old batteries and see if the problem re-occurs.

Works so far.

Checking the "About" in settings.  It's the Roku player 2720x.  Software version 5.4 - build 3337

[5/19/14]  Apparently Plex is no longer free.  Got this message when accessing Plex on the Roku 2.

Welcome to Plex!

With Plex you can easily stream you videos, music, photos and home movies to your Roku using your Plex Media Server.

To download and install your free Plex Media Server on your computer, visit http://plexapp.com/getplex.

Enjoy Plex free for 30 days, then unlock with a PlexPass subscription or a small one-time-purchase.

[5/20/14] Here's a problem with the Roku captions.  When I played HBO Go, the subtitles were tiny.  It uses the Roku system subtitles and the size was set at default.  When I changed the size to medium, the captions became bigger, but then the lines often overlapped each other.  About the best size on HBO Go is small.  The captions are smaller than I like, making it a little difficult to read, but then at least they don't overlap.  I see the problem was reported on April 26.  At least it was acknowledged.

[5/20/14]  What to do?  Here's my latest thinking.  Swap the Apple TV with the Roku 3 for mom as it gives the best captions for Netflix, Hulu Plus, and HBO Go (so I want it at home).  It's lacking youtube captions and Amazon Instant Video, so keep the Roku 2 for that at home.  Retire the Roku HD as the Roku 2 is similar except for VideoBuzz and maybe Plex.  But now I want to try the Amazon Fire TV to see if it would be a better fit than the Apple TV for me.

[7/18/14] Noticed that Hulu Plus now looks different on the Roku 2.  The format was changed and the subtitles look a lot fatter.  They now use the Roku system captions, but as I said they look fatter.  The up arrow to access the menu no longer works and the Hulu Plus default yellow captions apparently are no longer available.

[7/20/14]  Made it through an entire episode of Dog Whisperer on my Roku HD with subtitles on without the thing locking up.  So maybe they fixed the problem.  But then it autoplayed the next episode.  Don't see any option to turn autoplay off/on.  That option used to appear (along with the caption on/off) when you hit the up arrow.  You can access the caption with the *, but don't see autoplay there.

It's now the opposite of Apple TV, where you can't turn it on.  I guess I should check to see how it looks on my Amazon Fire TV next..

No comments: