Monday, May 05, 2014

Bing Rewards

Bing Rewards is Microsoft's attempt to take some market share away from Google.

The way it works is they give you credits for making Bing searches.  You get 1 credit for every two searches, up to a maximum of 15 credits per day.

Then when you get enough credits, you can redeem the credits for prizes.  Like a month of Hulu Plus or a gift card for Amazon.com, Starbucks, Burger King, etc.  Or you can donate your points to one of several charities.

Today I notice you can get up to 10 additional credits a day for mobile search.  I tried to search from my ipad, but didn't get any mobile search points.  Then I saw a bing app in the App Store and tried that, but that doesn't give me mobile search points either.  Evidently it only works on phones.  (Alas, no iphone or android phone for me.)

[6/29/14] Bing has changed the number of searches to get a credit (for me anyway).  It used to be 1 credit for every 2 searches.  Now it's 1 credit for every 3 searches.  But now they've upped the number of credits you can earn in at day to 30 credits (for my account anyway).  Plus on Monday this month, you can get double credits.  So it's 60 credits today.

But that's 180 searches!  I've been just browsing the top stories and news on bing to get my credits.  But now I have to click through the list several times.

What to do?  Cheat!  I'm trying this bing rewards bot to do the searches for me.  Just enter the number of searches for it to do and the time delay between searches.  The credits don't update when doing the searches, but when I go back to bing after it's done, I see the credits are there.  We'll see how long before bing shuts it down (or neuters its effectiveness).

No comments: