Monday, May 06, 2013

who's piggybacking you?

I got the idea for today’s tip while troubleshooting my parent’s slow internet connection this weekend (they hadn’t given their Wi-Fi a password, and the neighbors were using it). The first thing you need to do is login to your router's administrative console by typing its IP address directly into the browser address bar -- typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on which router you have. If you don't know your router's default address go to the command prompt (Start > Run/Search for cmd) and enter ipconfig. The address you need should be next to Default Gateway under your Local Area Connection.


Once inside your router's administrative console look for a section related to connected devices or wireless status. It will be different for everyone, sometimes it’s available under Status > Wireless but can also find it as "Attached Devices", under or "Device List".

This should provide a table with the IP, MAC address and other details of every device currently connected to the router. Check that list against your gear to find any intruders. You can find out the MAC/IP address of your computers by going to the Command Prompt again and entering 'ipconfig /all'. The MAC address will be shown as the physical address.

***

Too bad. I don't know the router password to my hawaiiantel.net modem/router combo.  On the other hand, since it has a password, I doubt anybody is piggybacking it.

Right now, only my Roku is connected to my wireless.  But soon to be added is my new iPad mini.  Other than that, i'll just be my relative's iPad or iPhone.  Plus any laptops I'm troubleshooting.

No comments: