Tuesday, May 07, 2013

black screen on freecell, etc.

I started up Spider Solitaire and got a black screen.  The sound was still working.  The menu was still working.  But the main game display was black.

No big deal, I can live without playing Spider Solitaire.

But then I tried FreeCell.  Same thing.

The problems seems to be limited to the native Vista games.  I played the freecell that I had imported from Windows XP and that worked.  Yep, Hearts don't work either.  Chess Titans.  Mahjong Titans.  Minesweeper.  Regular Solitaire.  Purble Place (whatever that is).

Inkball is the only one that works.

Hadn't played the XP version for a while.  I notice the difference that in the Vista version you can drag the cards.  While in the XP version, you click them.  The other difference is that the Vista version you have unlimited undo.  And if you restart again and lose, it counts as another loss (whereas the XP version just counts one loss no matter how many times you restart the game).

I think I had this problem before, but I don't remember what I did to fix it.  I'm thinking now that I just rebooted and the problem cleared up.

reboot.

yay, it worked.  I changed the background of freecell, so now I have to change it back.

[I was going to write this reply on my ipad mini, but got a blank screen when I tried.  Another ipad incompatiblity.]

No comments: