Wednesday, March 18, 2015

shopping for internet + TV

Well, I'm paying like $110 for my cable TV.  And like $50 for my phone + DSL.

Can I save money?

Well here's a $50 deal for Oceanic.  Price good for one year.  And reading the fine print: available to new residential customers or existing single play customers who subscribe to only one of the following services: Basic TV only, Standard Internet, Basic Internet or Everyday Low Price Internet customers who sign up for Basic Digital TV, Standard Internet (up to 15 Mbps) and HBO.   Don't know how much the price will increase, but I figure it'll probably at least double.

They also have a triple-play offer.  $90 for one year which includes phone.

What happens after the year?  Well the regular price for digital TV is $89.  Plus $7 for the box.  Plus $13 if you want DVR.  Basic TV (which is the local channels plus OC16 plus TBS) is $16.  Standard TV (which is the analog lineup that includes ESPN, Prime Ticket, OCSports, and a number of other channels) is $65. The analog channels look pretty crappy on a modern TV, but actually you do get a few HD channels if you plug the cable into your digital TV.  And actually you might be able to get most of the analog channels (notable exception: ESPN) with only the Basic TV service (judging from what I've seen from a couple of people who have only the Basic service).

How about just internet?  (after which I could get Sling TV or the upcoming Apple TV service if I wanted)

I don't see an active link on Oceanic's website, but googling gets me this page (oh there it is on the bottom of this page).

$14.99 for 2 mbps (if you buy your own modem, otherwise it's $8.00 a month to lease a modem) which jumps up to $38.99 for 6 mbps ($29.99 bundled).  The highest they offer is 100 mbps for $107.99.

Actually that sounds like the best deal.  $14.99, buy your own modem, get a Roku, subscribe to Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Sling TV if you want some live sports.  Of course, the live sports won't look that good at 2 mbps.

How about HawaiianTelcom?

$79 for TV plus internet.  $89 for TV plus internet plus phone.  Of course good only for one year.

How about just TV?  $69 a month for 175+ channels.  $79 for 225+ Channels.  The extra $10 gets you stations like NBATV, Tennis Channel, NatGeoWild, Biography, Boomerang, and a bunch of channels that I wouldn't watch.

Surprisingly they do have TWC SportsNet (Lakers) which is Channel 69, and OCSports (UH Sports) which is Channel 89.  Surprisingly since TWC SportsNet is Time Warner Cable and OCSports is Oceanic which are their competitors.  But no OC16 (which is high school sports).

Hmm. Just noticed that HawaiianTelcom doesn't have Prime Ticket (Clippers)? (I thought it was on before?  Yeah looking at a January listing, it used to be Channel 78 which is now notably missing from the current lineup.  That's a big minus.  Ah it was taken off at the end of 2014.  Well, maybe it'll come back.)

What about just internet?  All their pricing says "for 1 year".

$19.95 (up to 7 mpbs): this is what I have and I'm getting like 4 mbps
$24.95 (11 mbps)
$29.95 (15 mbps)
all the above is $20.50 when bundled with home phone
$39.95 (20 mpbs)

I ain't go higher than that, but the highest they offer is 500 mbps for $307.95 per month.  Their 100 mbps is $87.95.

If I started with nothing (and was on a tight budget), I'd probably go with the $15 or $20 internet and SlingTV.  And struggle with spotty video and missing channels.  Maybe I'll do that just for fun.  It'll be like camping in the wilderness.

No comments: