Monday, May 28, 2012

free phone calls

I remember Roy showing me he could make phone calls from his ipod touch.

I didn't remember how he did it, but looking at this chat session to me on google, evidently he does it with talkatone.com.

It doesn't work over the computer though, it works with your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.


From the faq:

What is Talkatone? How do I use it?

Talkatone gives you free calls, text messages and real-time location sharing on your iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad via 3G or WiFi connection. Talkatone uses Google Talk and Google Voice services and bridges the gap between instant messaging on your computer and regular cellular calls on your mobile device.

Basic Talkatone product is free. Wherever you can find data connection you can make a call or send a text message. In order to get most out of Talkatone you need to have Google Voice Account and setup Google services.

Another reason to get an iPad or iPod Touch.

[7/26/12] And still another reason! Turn your iPhone into a 1960's Star Trek Communicator. Pretty cool!

Also now available for Android.

***

[7/26/12] Hmm..  Maybe if I get a Clear Spot, it could replace my cell phone, my regular phone, my DSL, and (somewhat) my cable.

If I want to use a computer (or laptop), I guess I could use it in conjunction with Magic Jack.  But then I'd have to carry around a telephone to plug into my computer.

No comments: