Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Hawaiiantel DSL

My DSL was running slow for a while (like a month or two).  I had been getting about 1.4 Mbps, but then it dropped to like 500 kpbs.  I called them and they told me to change the phone cord.

It didn't do anything, but somehow I got back to to 1.4 Mbps.

Then it dropped again and for awhile I was getting like 400 Mbps.  I finally called them a couple of nights ago and they had be connect to the main phone jack.  Same thing.  So they're going to send me another modem.

And in the meantime, it dropped to like 200 Mbps.

The modem came yesterday and I hooked it up last night.  The speed improved to 800-900 kbps.  Which I guess is good in comparison, but not as fast as it used to be.

So call Hawaiitel again.  The guy checked and said the blockage (or whatever was slowing down my connection) was fixed with the new modem, but they had to upgrade my connection (which was downgraded for connection problems or something).  I asked him what speed I was supposed to be getting.  He said I had standard (I have the cheapest possible) and it's rated for 3-6 mpbs and I might be able to get 4.

He did his thing and told me to run another test.  Hey 3.5 mbps!  I'll take it.

Thanks.

***

Looking at the website, Hawaiiantel.com can now go up to 50 mbps.  And I see the price for the basic speed is down to $22.95.

***

testing later in the night (at 11:42 PM), speed now down to 2.9 mbps.  We'll see if it starts spiraling down from here.

*** [5/3/12]

unplugged the modem and the computer last night.  plugged it back in this morning.  Now getting 2.89 mbps.  Well, that's still twice my former peak speed.  I can live with that.

*** [7/17/12]

tested my internet speed last night (or was it the night before).  Was getting 5+ mbps from San Francisco and Los Angeles.  But dropped off from New York for example.

tested today.  Getting a more consistent 5+ across the board.  However New York first got only like 0.9, but then 5+ on the second try.  It seems the 5+ is the peak speed, but there could be more congestion when testing from more far away sites.  (On the other hand, when I tested Sue's speed on Sunday, she was getting only like 0.7.)

No comments: