Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Firefox locking up? Try this.

Last week, I ran into a problem with Firefox locking up at a particular place on a particular website (if you must know, I was looking up MOAT on Morningstar.com).  It worked OK on Chrome.

Went to task manager (I'm using Vista) and noticed the plug-in container running.  I think when I end-tasked it, Firefox unlocked up.  [Don't really remember, but I assume that's what I did.]

Looking up the problem, it appeared that the problem was Adobe Flash locking up.

So I checked the add-ons and decided to enable uBlock Origin.  That seemed to help as the website didn't lock up any more, though uBlock doesn't really affect Flash.  Whatever it worked.

And while I was at it, I decided to change Shockwave Flash from Always Activate to Ask to Activate.

And now Firefox has been running faster with less lockups.

There are sometimes though, when you might want to activate Flash.  For example, some webpage display videos using Flash.  If a webpage is trying to use Flash, there will be a prompt asking whether you want to allow the site to run Adobe Flash.  You can either Continue Blocking or Allow.  If you Allow, you can choose between Allow Now and Allow and Remember.  I generally don't allow it unless I see a video that I might want to watch.

No comments: