Saturday, November 12, 2016

TWC TV

[11/22/16] KGMB is now showing KGMB (CBS).  Although when I first accessed the app today, it showed the major network channels missing.  Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC were missing, but KFVE, KHET, CW were there.

[11/15/16]  OK, now I see CW is on.  It's on channel 1093.  But oddly KGMB (channel 7, 87, 1007) is showing NBCSN instead.  Same on my iPad.  Meanwhile NBCSN (1210) is erroring out.  OK, a work in progress.   And now I see ESPN2 is on Channel 1224 (and 224).

[11/12/16] Checking out the TWC TV app on my mom's Roku TV in Aiea.  Since they have both TV and internet service from Oceanic, they had a lot of channels available on the app.  But notably they lacked the local network channels as well as OCSports and OC16.

But today I notice Oceanic has expanded the channels carried.  They now carry the local network channels live (KHON, KFVE, KITV, KGMB, KHNL, KHET) as well as OCSports and OC16.  The notable omissions are The CW and ESPN2.  They do have the NFL Network, but not NFL Redzone.  However I can catch those channels on the separate Roku apps (though admittedly NFL not supported by Time Warner Cable last I checked).  They even have KBFD, KIKU, KWHE, MeTV (126) and Antenna TV (541).

Anyway, with the addition of these channels, this pretty much takes away my desire of hooking up direct cable or an antenna to her Roku TV.

I'm noticing the "reception" of the local (and other) channels isn't always that great.  Sometimes I can't catch the channels or the channel "dies" or the video is grainy.  But it usually works.

[7/20/12] signed up for twctv.  supposedly you can watch TV on your computer or ipad or whatever device.

Pretty neat.  I can get the guide and change the channel from my computer.  But live TV isn't working.  I wonder if it'll work in the morning.  Or if that feature isn't implemented yet?

... looking ...  apparently for live TV to work you have to have Time Warner cable for both TV and internet. And you must be connected to your home internet.  Since, I'm on Oceanic cable and not hawaiiantelnet dsl, apparently I'm out of luck.  Would have been neat to be able to watch my TV over any internet connection.  But I guess not.

Mysti Amber writes: Tells me I cannot watch because I am not connected to my network. So how do i connect my box to my wireless network.. The Timewarner rep said I need Time warner internet.  Seriously?  I am not going to buy their internet just so I can watch tv on my laptop and I can only watch it AT HOME? Are you serious?  I was going to figure out how to get it going but if I can't watch it when I am away from home then why bother. I can just go sit in front of the tv. FAIL

The advantage writes ModernTenshi04 5 months ago in reply to DJ24966
My sister doesn't have a TV in her room as there's no where to put it, so a service like this would be great for her to be able to watch whatever shows she wants.  You could also setup a second display on your desktop and use it as a TV while doing other things.

I see it states that you can "watch live programming on your computer within your own home".  In other words, not outside your home.

I guess On Demand is theoretically better than just mindless watching whatever happens to be on live anyway..

***

[1/9/12] Now I see that TWC is coming to Roku.  Apparently it'll be the same deal.  It looks to me that you'll have to be a subscriber both to Time Warner cable and Time Warner Road Runner.  And be connected to your own Road Runner service.  So won't do me any good.

[6/13/15] TWC is much better on the iPad.  You can watch a number of live channels, On Demand shows and movies.  And you don't have to be on your Oceanic internet network, though you get access to fewer channels if you are not.

No comments: