Saturday, November 28, 2015

Digital HD

I picked up a copy of Furious 7 (Black Friday sale at Best Buy), partly because it had Digital HD and I wanted to see how it worked.

The back of the case said DIGITAL HD with ULTRAVIOLET.  WATCH IT ANYWHERE!  also includes  Watch on iTunes.

How does it work?

There's an insert in the case with a 12-digit code.

The first step is to go to UniversalDigitalCopy.com.  (Actually I typed this in wrong at first and went to a rogue site that warned me that I was infected by a virus.  Don't do that.)

First step is to enter code

Second step is to Select Retailer

You can select one of these four UltraViolet retailers:

Universal, Flixster, Vudu, CinemaNow

Roku supports both Flixster and Vudu, but I like Flixster better because I like the Roku interface better.  Flixster is also supported by the Fire TV, but it doesn't look like it supports captions.  So since Flixster is apparently the only supported by Fire TV, I guess I'll go with Flixster.

You also get the option to add a digital version.  I assume this is for iTunes.  I really have a bigt need for the iTunes version since I can watch it on BluRay, so maybe I'll see if I can give it to somebody else to watch on their iPad.

So I'll stop now and come back later.

***

Later that day.  Testing the Blu-Ray and DVD.  The Blu-Ray works but for some reason, the DVD doesn't play on my Sony Blu-Ray player.  It plays on my laptop and my Toshiba DVD-recorder, so the DVD is probably OK.  And the Sony Blu-Ray player does play other DVDs.  So don't know what's wrong.

*** [12/1/15]

Swapped the Furious 7 at Best Buy.  Try the new DVD.  "Cannot operate this disc" when I first put it in.  Then "Cannot playback this disc" when I try again.  So it's some kind of strange interaction between the DVD and the Sony Blu-ray player (BDP-S360).  Sorry Best Buy, hopefully they don't toss the one I exchanged.

[see this link for my experiences redeeming the Digital HD]

No comments: