Wednesday, December 02, 2015

redeeming UltraViolet and Digital Copy

After two years, I finally decided to try to redeem the ultraviolet copy of Star Trek: Into Darkness.  I probably wouldn't have bothered, but I recently purchased Furious 7 and I went around to see if I had any other movies with Digital Copy and this was one of them.  (The insert said "code may not be valid after 9/10/15" but I figured I'd try anyway.)

The insert suggested two ways to redeem the movie.  One was at paramountmovies.com.  The other was ultraviolet.flixster.com/paramount.  But for some reason, I want to paramountdigitalcopy.com/startrekintodarkness (which was the instructions for Digital Copy, not UltraViolet) where I was asked to select media type.  The choices were Apple iTunes or UltraViolet.  I selected UltraViolet which gave me four options: Paramount, Vudu, Flixster, CinemaNow.  I chose Vudu and found the section to redeem it.  And the code worked.  The movie showed up in Vudu.

The problem with choosing that option (I now know) is that if you do it that way, the movie goes into your Vudu library but not automatically in your UltraViolet library.  So now Star Trek: Into Darkness shows up in vudu, but not on Flixster.  [And I prefer the subtitles on the Flixster app on my Roku vs. the subtitles on the Vudu app.] That's my second movie on Vudu, but not UltraViolet (and Flixster).  The first one was Linsanity, but that had a code for specifically for vudu, not an UltraViolet code.  I also have a few free first TV episodes on Vudu (Player, Dr. Ken, Going Deep), that are not on Flixster as well.

I think if I had chose one of the other options, it would have gone into my UltraViolet library from which vudu could pull it in.  I don't know for sure, because when I tried to redeem it at paramount (and other places) it said code already used.

[12/2/15 pm - Wait a minute.  Checking Flixster on the Roku at my mom's place in the evening, I see Star Trek: Into Darkness is now listed.  I guess it does transfer after all, but takes a little while.  Checking Flixster on my PC, I see it there too.  How about paramountmovies.com? It's there too.  And NCIS: New Orleans pilot plays here, though for some reason, playback is unavailable on Flixster on the PC (and in fact, TV shows don't even show up on the Flixster app on the Roku).]

Pressing on, I next tried Digital Copy.  I went to iTunes on my PC to redeem it and it gave me the option to download it.  Not wanting to wait a couple of hours (or whatever) on my slow internet connection, I skipped.

Then I saw you could redeem it on your iPad (apparently without downloading).  So I went to the iTunes store on my iPad, went to movies, scrolled down and saw redeem and entered the code.  And the movie showed up in purchased.

Then I checked on my Apple TV and sure enough it's there too.  The problem is that it'll take over 2 hours to download before I can play it.  Don't know why you have to wait for it to download on the AppleTV when it plays almost immediately on the Roku.

***

OK, I see another one.  X-Men: First Class is a Blue-Ray + Digital Copy.  Also bought two years ago (Black Friday) and still unopened.  OK, I guess it's time.

It actually comes with a Digital Copy DVD.  No UltraViolet option that I can see. And there are two options.  The second option is requires a network-connected Blu-ray player which I don't have, which leaves option one.

1) insert DIGITAL COPY DISC into your Mac or PC's DVD.

2) click on TRANSFER DIGITAL COPY

you can transfer a digital copy of this movie to your computer where it can be watched or transferred to other portable media devices.

Choose iTunes below if you have an iPod or iPhone, or Windows Media Player if you have a PlaysForSure compatible portable media device.

What is PlaysForSure?  Introduced by Microsoft in 2004.  CNet wrote an obituary in 2007.

3) Click either iTunes or Windows Media Format

iTunes it is.  Click on Transfer To iTunes.

4) Follow the simple on-screen instructions then enter the the unique activation code from this insert to redeem your Digital Copy.  Once you have redeemed your Digital Copy, you can watch the movie on your computer and/or transfer it to an iTunes-or Window Media-compatible device.

iTunes is launched and I'm asked to Enter Code.  OK, type in the code and click on Redeem.

Sign in to redeem your code.

Accessing iTunes Store...

Your code has been successfully redeemed.  Your movie is now transferring.

Once the transfer is complete, you can enjoy your movie right on your computer

Oh boy, I think it's copying the whole movie from the DVD to the computer hard drive.  I guess this could take a while.

In the meantime while I'm waiting, I checked my video app on my iPad and I see both movies appear on my iPad, but I'm afraid to play it because I don't have any room to download it.

No notification that it finished transferring, but I don't see any DVD activity and the hard drive light is only lightly flickering.  So maybe it's done.  Let's try to play the movie in iTunes on the computer.

There it is, but don't see Star Trek: Into Darkness.  It plays, so I guess it worked.  I see I can even stream it via AirPlay to the AppleTV.

... In the meantime, Star Trek: Into Darkness is almost ready to play on the Apple TV.  4 minutes to go...  Make that 10 minutes.

Playing X-Men: First Class on the PC via iTunes.  At the bottom says 1 movie, 2 hours, 12 minutes, 1.79 GB.  I wonder what happens if I log on to iTunes on another computer?

And now Star Trek: Into Darkness finally starts playing on the Apple TV.  Exit out to menu.  Now see X-Men: First Class in the purchased section.  Let's try playing.  Hey it started playing rather quickly!  (Surprisingly.)  Maybe because it's not in HD like Star Trek: Into Darkness (don't know if it is or not)?  But still you would think it would take a few minutes to buffer before playing.

Playing with the subtitles, I see there are options for English (United States) and English CC.  I think the words are probably the same, but the fonts are slightly different.  I prefer the former.  There's also Auto, French, Spanish.

Hey, I see another insert where I can "access your 10 free x-men marvel digital comics"

go to marvel.com/xmenbluray
get a server error on chrome and a blank screen on firefox.
I guess this offer expired.

[12/3/15]  OK, let's try the Furious 7 again (after I exchanged it, but the DVD still didn't play in my Sony Blu-ray player).

go to universaldigitalcopy.com
enter the code
select an Ultraviolet Retailer (Universal, Flixster, Vudu, CinemaNow)
You may also add a digital version (only 1 choice which looks like iTunes to me though they don't label it).

Click Flixster this time and click Digital Version.  I thought it would be one or the other, but you can click both without turning off the other.

Continue.

Flixster may share my personal information and content redemption information with NBCUniversal Media LLC and its affiliates for marketing purposes, including sending updates and special offers.

I'll uncheck this.  Click Complete Redemption.

OK, I see it on Flixster.

Then I go back to Universalhidef.com (Flixster had opened a new tab).  I think this for the iTunes copy.

Your email address and redemption code entitle you to other exciting features coming soon from Universal Studios.  Enter them here and we'll send you a message when benefits become available.

Hey, why not?  I'll put in my email address but not my gender or birthdate.  And leave checked "Yes, sign me up for Special Updates, Sneak Peeks & Exclusive Offers from Universal Studios.

Click Redeem.

Nope, they're insisting on my gender and birthdate.  Forget it then.  Uncheck the offer.  Nah, put it in.  Click Redeem.

Complete Your Digital Redemption.  Click on Launch iTunes to open iTunes and redeem your movie.  If prompted, enter your redemption code and click redeem.  Download and enjoy your Digital Movie.

I think I might be able to just enter the code in the iTunes Store on my iPad, but I'll follow the instructions for once.

Click on "Launch iTunes".

I thought it would launch the iTunes program but it went to the website.  Let me try enter it in my iPad.

Go to iTunes Store.  Click on Movies.  Ah I see the problem, my internet went out again (only showing local).

OK, try again.  It tkes to the download iTunes page.  It says Tunes 12.3.1 for Windows 7 or later.  I wonder if Apple only supports Windows 7 and up now.

Let me launch iTunes and see what version I have.  12.1.2.27 (on Vista).

Let's see.  Click on Movies in iTunes.  And I see a link that says Redeem on the right side.  Enter your gift card or download code.  Enter code and click the Redeem button.

Would you like to download this movie now?  Download or Later.  Click Later.

Your code has been successfully redeemed.  You can enjoy your movie on your computer or on the go with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.  You can also buy or rent thousands of great movies, including the latest releases, on the iTunes Store.

OK, click My Movies.  Don't see it.  Only see X-Men First Class.
Check my iPad.  OK, I see it in Purchases along with X-Men: First Class and Star Trek: Into Darkness.
Check the AppleTV.  There it is!  Let's see how long it'll take to play..  4 hours and 15 minutes 8)

Check Vudu.  Furious 7 is there.  No waiting this time..

Oh wait, I have to go to the iTunes Store section of iTunes to see My TV Shows.  There they are.  And there's Furious 7 and Star Trek: Into Darkness.  They're in the "not in my library" section.  Maybe because I have to download them.  OK, now I see them all in the All section.  Furious 7 and Star Trek: Into Darkness have a cloud icon with a down arrow on it.  Which I assume they need to be downloaded from the cloud.   Not sure how to do that.  Well, I don't know if I would want to download an HD movie on my computer since it really doesn't have that much space on the hard drive.  Maybe on my laptop.

Lemme see.  I guess I have to click on the cloud icon.

Try that.  This movie cannot be played in HD on this computer.  Would you like to download the SD version of this movie instead?  Nah.  Cancel.  I'll just watch on the AppleTV.

Don't even know why iTunes has to download instead of just streaming.  I guess they're not as smart as Netflix.  Or maybe it's my system.  I could try take my Apple TV down to mom's or Donna's place I guess.

Hooked up my Roku.  The ultraviolet movies also show up in my mgo library.  Cool.

No comments: