Sunday, June 15, 2014

Windows 8.1

finally decided to upgrade the Windows 8.0 on my notebook
took a while to download
it ran in the background as I was doing other things (didn't even realize it was downloading)

complete installation / it requires you to have a Microsoft account (I used my hotmail account)
now has a new desktop background
a start button on the desktop (which goes to the Metro desktop)
and a power off button near the top right of the Metro screen

OneDrive must now be part of Windows 8.1 as it is being installed automatically

now asks for a password on startup (your Microsoft account)
set it so it logs in automatically

just noticed it boots to the desktop instead of the Metro screen
seemed to take longer to boot up now though (at first anyway)
I also see an option to x out of Metro apps (in addition to dragging them down)

tried accessing some files on OneDrive.  at first it didn't work.  In my case, I tried running editpad, but it errored out because the .ini file wasn't available.  So I clicked on it and it came up in notepad.  I guess that made the .ini file available because editpad worked after that.

I see now I could have right-clicked to make it available offline (which I assume downloads it to the computer).

I also now see that Windows 8.1 requires a password after entering sleep mode
Changed it to not require a password on wakeup

No comments: