Monday, June 17, 2013

antennas for free TV

In my quest to simplify, one day I want to get rid of cable TV and put up an antenna to catch free TV over the air.

[If it's supposed to free, why don't they just broadcast it over the internet?  Free TV was supported by advertising, so I would think you would want to widen your exposure to attract advertisers.  That's why I don't understand why they cut out the commercials on the few live signals you can see over the internet.  Like Bloomberg TV or Hawaii News Now for example.  Must be some legal thing.  I would think the advertisers wouldn't complain.  So who's doing the complaining?]

Anyway I remember seeing a full page advertisement in the staradvertiser last week (I think) for a Clear Channel antenna.  Googling, I see the ClearStream2 Antenna gets good ratings from lifehacker and amazon.com.  Don't think this was the same antenna that was advertisers.

There's also this pieplate antenna I saw on youtube.

Not sure if I can get a signal in my location, because I remember I tried to help Mr. Fong across the street with his antenna from Radio Shack (or was it Best Buy?) and it didn't get very good results.

The FCC has a pretty neat site and the TV stations in your area.  Other sites are TV Fool and AntennaWeb.

Maybe I should just downgrade to the basic cable which is pretty cheap and I'll get the over the air channels plus a bunch of others in standard def.  The major drawback of cutting the cable is no ESPN and in my case no OCSports (for UH Sports).  Or TNT or NBA-TV (for NBA in HD).  Or NatGeoWild.  Now if KFVE or somebody gets back the rights for UH Sports, then I might start thinking twice.

Then again, it's not like I can't afford the $3 or so per day for cable TV (for now anyway).

No comments: