Friday, June 15, 2012

recording streaming flash video

I wanted to record the UC Irvine graduation ceremony and I was looking for a program to do it.

I came across this site which describes a variety of programs. (Or something like it.)

The first one I tried was WinPCap.  Didn't work.

Then I tried freecorder.  It installs as a toolbar in your browser. Didn't work for the UC Irvine video.  And what's more, it hijacked my new tab page to their applian search page.  It did however record youtube videos.

The third one was WM Recorder.  This one worked, but the freeware version only allows 5 minutes of capture.  OK, keep this one for now.

Uninstall freecorder using the uninstall item from the start menu.  It didn't uninstall cleanly as the items were still in the start menu.  And was also still showing in firefox.  Had to manually delete the items in the start menu.  And uninstall separately in firefox.

The programs and features in the control panel seems to be locking up.  Not sure if it's related to the programs I just installed.  Wouldn't be surprised.

Uninstall WinPCap.

Might as well try the first one on the list: Replay Media Catcher.

Crap.  It's another applian application.  Seems to work though, but it allows you to save only 50% of what you recorded (is how I interpret their limitation).  Uninstall.

I guess I'll stick with WM Recorder.  For now.

[later that evening] Now WM Recording is giving an error when clicking the button to go to demo mode.  Uninstall.  Maybe because I uninstalled WinPCap (which apparently WM Recorder uses).

No comments: