Tuesday, July 13, 2010

lost my beep

When I permanently delete items from my Outlook Express deleted folder, I get a pleasant beep sound. But now I just get the beep from the speaker. [This happened several times before too.]

I also get the sound as a warning when I close (for example) Word without saving. And when using WS_FTP (yes, I still use that).

I suspect the system is sort of screwed up because the memory always gets low.

Anyway, the last time it corrected itself after a reboot, but this time it didn't. The first time, I used these instructions to correct it.

1) Click START... RUN... type Services.msc in the box... click OK

2) Change both of the following services from "Automatic" to "Disable"

---> Plug and Play Service

---> Windows Audio Service

3) Reboot, then reset both the "Plug and Play" & "Windows Audio" Services back to "Automatic".

4) Reboot, then test if the "Beep" is still there by opening a new MS Word document, type a few letters, then exit without saving to get the Exclamation/Beep prompt.

***

[7/14/10] Hey got my beep back, but not in the above way. What I did was go to control panel, sounds, and set it to no sounds. Then shut down. Start up. Then set the sound back to Windows default.

No comments: