Friday, April 17, 2009

Vista to wireless router

CliffH called me about his sister's company. They changed to a new computer running Vista (with Media Center it turns out) and had trouble connecting to their wireless router (which the old computer had been connected to).

When they called for support, they were told to lower security on the router. And it turned out they could only connect with the security turned off.

My turn to try. The router was a D-Link DI-624 and I found the documentation at Scribd. First of all I had to reset the router because the admin password was changed.

I set WEP back on, but when I tried to connect from the Vista computer, I got the message "the settings saved on this computer do not match the requirements of the network".

So I had to change the configuration on Vista, but it still didn't work.

Then I read that Vista doesn't like WEP, so I changed it to WPA-PSK. On the Vista side, I changed it to WPA-Personal, encryption TKIP. And to my surprise, it connected!

No comments: