Friday, April 17, 2009

transferring from Outlook to Vista Windows Mail

My next task was to transfer email and address book from Microsoft Outlook (running on XP) to Windows Mail running on Vista.

Sounded easy enough. Mike had backed up to a .pst file but strangely there was no option for importing Outlook. It turns out the option only exists if Outlook is installed on Vista (so what's the sense?)

Next I read that you should export to Outlook Express then import into Windows Mail. But I could see no option in Outlook to export to Outlook Express. The trick was to go to Outlook Express and import the Outlook messages into there. That worked. Then I think (I don't remember exactly -- after all it was yesterday!) I found where the Outlook Express messages were and copied them to the flash drive. Then I went to Windows Mail and imported [see ali_jane] them.

Then it was time for the address book. I couldn't figure out how to import from Outlook, so I wound up (from another tip on the internet - I can't find the link now) [see Michael B on previous link] to export the address book as a CSV file. I copied that file to the flash drive and imported from Windows Mail.

Note: I believe all this was with Outlook 2003 and Outlook Express 6.

No comments: