Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Lenovo Duet Chromebook

I've been eyeing this for a while now.  Most (practically all) of the reviews (including YouTube reviews) have been favorable.  But first I wanted to get some stuff out of the way (like trimming my tree in the back).

This is a 10" Chromebook that can double both as a computer and a tablet.  I would say it's more of a tablet because it's 10", but it can act as a computer and comes with a keyboard/cover included.  And since I was looking for a replacement for my old iPad Mini (which can no longer run some of the apps I use -- like YouTube TV), I thought this might fit the bill.  Plus I've never had a Chromebook, so it be something new to experience.

The regular price is $299.00 which most people say is a bargain.  But I saw Best Buy had it down to $249.00 -- which was the first time I had seen it on sale.  I had seen it even lower as an Open Box item, but this was for a brand new one.  And I took the bait and ordered it on Monday (10/25/20) morning and picked it up in the afternoon.  (I was surprised that the Best Buy parking was pretty full, but the store didn't look like that it had that many people inside.)

In the meantime, I had picked up a Fire HD 8 (which had been also on sale at Best Buy) which actually looks to be the more-direct replacement for iPad Mini.  But this was something I could stuff into my bag and haul out when I wanted something more substantial to work on.

I might not have been so keen to buy this if my HP Pavilion x360 is flakey (the cursor just starts acting up sporadically).  So we'll see if this can be a replacement for that as well.

So now I'll be armed across the board.  From this Acer 15+" laptop I'm typing on, to the 10" Lenovo Duet, to the 8" Fire HD, to the Google Pixel 3a XL (which is 6" -- it doesn't look that big to me, but I guess it is).

Stay tuned for the unboxing.

*** 10/29/20 ***

The unboxing begins!

After opening the box, the first I see is the tablet on the top.

Then inside the long rectangular box on the right is the USB-C to USB cable, the power brick, and an adapter for a headphone jack.

Lifting up the boxes reveals the back cover and the detachable keyboard.  All wrapped in translucent plastic bags.

And there's a little Quick Start Guide in the bottom of the box.

OK, let's see if this thing has any charge in it.

Press the power button.  It's on the right, below the volume buttons.

Press and hold the power button until the screen lights up.

Chrome OS is missing or damaged.
Please remove all connected devices and start recovery.

[Not a good start.]

I must say the screen is nice and bright.

What do I do now?

For help visit https://google.com/chromeos/recovery

It says I need another Chromebook, or a Windows or Mac computer with Chrome installed

Turn it off, then turn it back on.

This time I got the "chrome" on the screen.

Then it got to the Welcome! screen  [whew]

Let's go.

Connect to network

To restore your data, connect to the internet

Google Chrome OS Terms
Accept and continue

Checking for updates (very quickly)

Sign in to your Chromebook
[using my Google account]

Please wait...

You're signed in!

Chrome sync
Your bookmarks, history, passwords, and other settings will be synched to your Google Account so you can use them on all your devices.

Personalize Google services
Google may use your browsing history to personalize Search, ads, and other Google services.  You can change this anytime at myaccount.google.com/activitycontrols/search

[x] Review sync options following setup

Accept and Continue

Choose your PIN [hmm...  6 digits... Let me think]

[Hey what happened to the PIN screen?]

Google Play apps and services
[] back up to Google Drive (I'll uncheck this)

More

[x] Use location
[x] Review Google Play options following setup

Accept

Install apps from your other devices

We found 11 apps from your account that can be used on this device

Speedtest  Tunein                      Roku
Netflix      Amazon Prime Vid  Pluto TV
Instagram  Peacock                   Google Home
Smule        Messenger

Skip

Meet Your Google Assistant

Turn on

Google partners work with your Assistant to help you

Continue

Access your Assistant with Voice Match

Voice match lets you access your Assistant directly by using your voice.

No thanks [what if somebody wants to use it?]

Your Assistant is ready

When your Chromebook is set up, press the Assistant button or say "Ok Google" to get help anytime.  Go to Assistant settings to make changes.

Done

Connect to your phone

Your Chromebook and Android phone work better together.  Connect them so you can text from your computer, share your internect connect, and unlock your Chromebook with your phone.

Select a device
Google Pixel 3a XL

When you connect your devices, you agree that your Chromebook can:

Send you notifications and default to remember this computer for Messages.

Automatically install apps

Offer new features as they become available

Accept & continue

Then it went to the Settings screen

Smart Lock is turned on
Next time, your phone will unlock your Chromebook.  You can turn off Smart Lock in Settings.

[I think I'll turn this off.]

Change Settings

Settings / Connected devices / Google Pixel 3a XL / Smart Lock (toggle to off) [I might try turning it on later]

I guess it's set up.

Swipe up and select Chrome

Gmail is disabled
To re-enable it, accept the new perrmissions
Display notificatons
Accept permissions

Swiping up I see seven icons.  Chrome, Gmail, Google Docs, Google Play, Messages, Settings.

How do I go to the desktop?  Or is there one?

Then someone I got into YouTube

There you go.  Tap on the left arrow to get to the desktop.

At the top there a searchbar: "Search your device, apps, web...

Then five small icons in a row: YouTube Docs Play Store Messages Chrome

Then twenty icons on the main screen

Chrome Play Store Files Gmail Gmail  [the first Gmail is through the Chrome browser]
Docs  Slides Sheets Google Drive Google Keep...
Calendar  YouTube  YouTube Play Movies Play Music [the first YouTube is through the browser]
Play Games Play Books Camera Photos Duo

Then I can swipe up to the next screen which has only one icon
Entanglemen  [I guess that's a game]

Then swipe up to the third screen
Maps Settings Get Help Calculator Chrome Canv [a paint program?]
Text [which looks like a Text editor]  Web Store Messages [text on your computer with Message for web]

Let me try put on the cover and keyboard now

The back cover has a fabric feel, but I think it's hard plastic underneath.
It's magnetized and pops right on.

Now for the keyboard.

It's magnetized and pops right on the bottom.  It positions itself, no need to adjust it.

There's a little plastic sheet taped over the track pad.  I guess you can leave it on because the track pad works with it there.

There's a little play with the keyboard cover moving around.  The excuse is that's it's cheap.

Now where'd the desktop go?  Now it's blank.

Press the little dot on the lower left.

A pane pops up with the upper part of the desktop (with the row of five icons) and an up arrow at the top of the pane.  Swipe up to see the desktop.  Actually just touch the arrow.

OK I'm getting used to this.

I wonder if I should install YouTube TV?  Well it probably works with the browser.  So let's go with that.

Looks like it has the url history ported over from my account.

Go to tv.youtube.com

https://tv.youtube.com/ wants your device's identify to be verified, but Google, to determine eligibility for enhanced playback of protected content.

It's working, but the sound is disappointingly tinny.  Even my Fire HD 8 sounds a lot better.

It's now 9:00 AM.  Let me see how long the battery lasts.

I guess no need to install a lot of apps since I can use the Chrome browser.

....

After using it for a little while, got a notification that Chrome OS update available.  Restart to Update.

OK, let's do that.  [tap it]

screen blanks out

Your system is applying a critical update.  Please do not turn off

Screen blanks

chrome logo

get to the log in screen
tells me to enter password.  is it my google password?
I guess so
I think I want to add a PIN

How do that?

Settings. Personalization.  People.  Security and sign-in.
enter password
show lock screen when waking from sleep
lock screen from sleep mode
password only
or PIN or password
let's switch it to PIN or password
Set up PIN

Hmm.  The PIN I chose is actually longer than my password.  But at least it's all numbers.  I can change it later I guess.

How do I shut down the Chromebook.  Unlike Windows, where you click to shut down, you press the power button.  Well, actually there's several options.  You can also click on the time on the bottom right and the power button.

But first, another update..

Entered the PIN.  Apparently with the keyboard attached, you have to do it with the keyboard rather than tapping the numbers on the screen.

OK, turned it off by tapping the clock on the lower right, then the power button.  It shut off fast.

Turn it back on by pressing the power button.  Apparently you have to hold down the power button, not just press and release.

This time I could tap my PIN on the screen.  The keyboard also worked.

Got a bunch of notifications from gmail.  I think I'll turn those off.

Went to notifications.  Went to the gmail app.  Got an option to turn on notifications for only important email.  I guess it's a setting in gmail?  Not sure where it it though.

***

Let me change my wallpaper.  Settings.  Personalization.  Wallpaper.  Open the wallpaper app.  Right now, it's kind of a purplish lava lamp like display.  For some reason, that's what's in My images.  Let's see what else they got.

I think I'll try Landscapes, Daily Refresh.

I don't like the one it chose.  I'll choose another one.  OK, the one with the stream.

***

Waiting for the Chromebook battery to die...  1% remaining, 2 minutes left at 6:29 PM.  Running YouTube TV on Chrome browser.  So it's been about 9-1/2 hours.

OK, it died at 6:36.  Then a red battery icon showed up in the middle of the black screen and disappeared.

Let me plug in the USB-C to USB-C cable going from my laptop.  It's now 6:37 PM.

closed the cover and opened it

A dim login screen appeared.

The screen is dim.  Putting the mouse cursor over the battery.  It says1% 3:17 until full.  So maybe it'll be charged by 10:00 PM?

Had to manually turn up the brightness.  It's now about at 50% brightness.

No comments: