Saturday, June 10, 2017

the cheapo Fire tablet (what's missing?)

Sure the Fire tablet is a bargain at $50 (or sometimes even cheaper, it was like $33.33 on Black Friday).  But there's no such thing as a free lunch.  (Well, maybe there is, but in this case, no.)

So what's the downside of buying a Fire tablet vs. and ipad or Galaxy Tab?  Well the first thing is that if you buy the cheapie version, there's an ad on the splash screen when the thing turns on.  You have to flick it up to get rid of it.  But the main thing is that it doesn't have all the apps.

I tried to install TBS on it today.  Nope, not compatible with my tablet Amazon.com says, only with my Fire TVs.

I found that odd since I had TNT installed on my tablet.  But when I tried to run it, it said there was an update available with no option to bypass the update.  But then you try to install the update, it goes to the app store and the Watch TNT page.  And guess what, not compatible with the Fire tablet either.

I'd say TBS and TNT are pretty big names for Amazon not to support.

Well, I guess it's possible to load Google Play on the Fire tablet, but I never tried it.  But why bother when I can just use my ipad (other than the fact it's full of pictures and videos already)...

Then again, I guess I shouldn't complain.  After all, I think I paid like only $40 for mine.

No comments: