Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Apple TV 3 discontinued

Apple has discontinued the third-generation Apple TV, removing it from its online store. Additionally, links to the Apple TV 3 now reroute to the fourth-generation Apple TV. Apple confirmed it was discontinuing the device in an email to employees and educators obtained by 9to5Mac.

The Apple TV 3 was released in 2012 and given a spec bump the following year. In fall 2015, Apple announced the long-awaited fourth-generation Apple TV, including support for Siri, the brand-new tvOS, and the App Store.

[via cordkillers]

***

What that tells me is that I will start using my Apple TV less and less as the channel developers probably won't develop apps for it and/or get Apple to put them on.  So don't hold your breath for The CW to appear on it.

Overall I still like Apple TV's captions the best for Hulu.  But the Fire TV is acceptable.  Still don't like the Roku captions on Hulu.  I'm using the Fire TV more than the Roku largely because of Hulu.  I also like how the Fire TV marks which shows on Hulu and have been seen or unseen.

However the Fire TV still doesn't have several channels (e.g. NatGeo, FreeForm, NFL), so I still switch between them from time-to-time.  The Fire TV does support TNT and TBS though, which are not yet on the Roku.

No comments: