Saturday, December 03, 2016

streaming the NFL

[12/1/16] CBS ALL Access adds NFL games, except on phone.  So you can now watch all NFL games on streaming devices (including tablets but not phones), but you will need a subscription to CBS Access (assuming you live in an area where they telecast your local station live) as well as a subscription to cable or satellite (or Sling TV or Playstation Vue or DirecTV Live if you happen to live in an area where they carry live local channels.  Playstation Vue also carries CBS (live only, but not On Demand) as well as Fox and NBC in a few areas.  So in these areas, you wouldn't even need CBS All Access).

Or, of course, you can try an antenna for the CBS, Fox, and NBC games to watch on your TV.

[9/25/16]  Interesting.  Switched to my Apple TV and I see the Sunday game on their NBC Sports app.  Checking the website, now I see the game.  Checking my iPad, it's now on there too.  I guess they just were slow putting it up.

Now trying out NFL Redzone on the Apple TV.  Pretty neat.  They switch from game to game when there's something interesting to watch (like when a team gets into the red zone).  I wonder if they will carry the Sunday Night game?  I wouldn't think so.  Stay tuned.

Nope.  No coverage of the Sunday Night (afternoon where I am), but they end the telecast with every touchdown made on the day.  Pretty cool.  OK, time to tune in to NBC.

[9/24/16] Don't see this Sunday's NFL game on the NBC Sports app.  Not on my Fire TV, Roku, iPad, or even on the website.  Maybe they don't carry anymore.  I guess Fox and ESPN must have paid the NFL extra, because they carry it but not CBS and now apparently not NBC.

[9/12/16] CBS to stream NFL games this season.  But you have be a Comcast Optimum subscriber.  I checked the CBS Sports website and tried to log in to watch the CBS Sports Network live.  There were three options available: Cox, Frontier, Optimum.  So I assume those will be the three options to watch the NFL games on CBS.

Disappointly still not available for CBS All Access.  Apparently discussions fell through.

Besides CBS, you can watch every other NFL game live on a streaming device (Roku, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire TV) -- if you have a cable subscription (Time Warner Cable or HawaiianTelcom anyway).

[But if you have cable subscription, why watch on a streaming device?  Well for one thing, you might not have a cable box hooked up to every TV in your house.  And of course, if you're watching on your phone or tablet, you can watch anywhere you have internet access.]

The Fox Sports app (not available on Apple TV 3) will show the Fox games (Sunday afternoon games).

The NBC Sports app (available on all three devices) will carry Sunday Night Football and some of the Thursday Night games.

WatchESPN (all devices) will cover Monday Night Football.

The NFL app (currently available only on Apple TV, Roku channel disappointingly not yet updated for this season, not available on Fire TV) will carry the Thursday Night games on the NFL Network (I assume).

***

So which device to use?  In the pre-season, I was using the Apple TV to watch the NFL Network.  Plus the CBS Sports app on the Apple TV has better fantasy football coverage than the app on the other devices (for some odd reason).  However now that the season has started, I'm switching between devices since my Apple TV (3rd generation) doesn't have Fox Sports.  I might switch to the Roku more when the NFL app gets updated for this season.

***

One more option.  NFL Sunday Ticket.  [not available in my area because I am able to get DirectTV.]

No comments: