Sunday, April 03, 2016

DisneyMoviesAnywhere

Since I have the Collector's Edition of Avengers Age of Ultron that included a digital HD code, I was faced with how to redeem it.  You can do it without registration or via DisneyMoviesAnywhere.

The choices in the past came mainly to iTunes, Amazon Video, and Vudu.  In some cases, you could get the movie both on iTunes and Vudu.  If I had a choice, I would probably go with Amazon.  However the downside would be it's not available on my Apple TV (except via AirPlay).  If I wanted to use Apple TV, I would go with iTunes, but that's not available on my Roku.  Both Amazon and Vudu are available on the Roku.  And then was this new choice.  DisneyMoviesAnywhere.  I wasn't familiar with that.  But I didn't see a DisneyMoviesAnywhere app on my Apple TV, though I vaguely recalled it might be on the Roku (it is).

So initially, I chose nothing.

But then I read with DisneyMoviesAnywhere, you can link the account to iTunes.  So then I could have the movie on both the Roku and the Apple TV (which is what I use most of the time these days).

OK create an account, enter the code. Cool it's on there (on the website).

OK, let's try link it to iTunes.  Go to DisneyMoviesAnywhere, Settings, Account, choose iTunes, connect account.  It's supposed to go to iTunes.  But instead it went to a page to download iTunes even though I already had iTunes installed (on my Vista laptop).

OK, let's just go to iTunes and see if I can figure out to connect the account there.  But iTunes kept crashing.  OK. let's reinstall iTunes.  Download and run the setup.  Say Windows 7 required.

OK, let's try download the version for Windows Vista 32-bit.  Downloaded but didn't have time to install it.  Off to visit mom at CCOH.

OK, let's try on the Windows 10 laptop.  iTunes not installed.  Download it.

In the meantime, let's connect DisneyMoviesAnywhere with my Amazon Video account.  OK, that worked easily enough.

Install iTunes, try connecting the accounts.  Nope, still goes to the page asking to download iTunes.  What gives?  Ah, I see that people are having problems connecting while on Chrome.  Switch to Firefox.  OK, that worked!

OK, let's try it out.

Yep, it's on Amazon.  Cool, I can see it both on my iPad and my Roku.  I see it says with Bonus Features, but there's no menu option to view the special features.  But I notice the movie length is longer than it's supposed to be, so maybe the bonus features are just tacked on the end.

Install DisneyMoviesAnywhere app on Roku.  Yep it's there.  And there's a menu option to access the bonus features.

Connect my Vudu account.  It's there too.  But don't see any bonus features.

Go home and try it on iTunes on my Apple TV.  There it is.  There's an option for the bonus features, but don't see the feature "Connecting The Universe" (which is advertised in the insert).  Evidently that feature is only available only through the Disney app.

As far as I know, the DisneyMoviesAnywhere app is not yet available for the Apple TV (even the new one), so the only way to watch that feature on an Apple TV would be via AirPlay.

Checking iTunes, I see the special features from the Blu-ray are there, but I don't see the audio commentary.  In fact, I don't even see it on the DisneyMoviesAnywhere website.  How about the DisneyMoviesAnywhere app on the Roku?  Nope, not there either.  Apparently it's only available on the Blu-ray.  (This site says the commentary is available on digital HD but not on DVD.  Still don't see it digital HD though.  This site confirms it.)

So to have access to everything, you need both the Blu-ray and the DisneyMovieAnywhere access.

Digitial is almost, but not quite there yet.

No comments: