Monday, June 15, 2015

upgrading Quicken

Believe it or not, I'm still using Quicken 2000.  Hey, it works so why change.

However, I can see a problem might occur if I upgrade to a new computer and Quicken 2000 might not work.

As it is, I'm running it on Vista and though it works, I get prompt screen before I can enter the program.

So I was considering upgrading to a newer version of Quicken.

Actually I tried Microsoft Money first, but it had some problems with converting the data exactly and I noticed a few pennies off here and there.  One penny off was unacceptable, so I gave up on that idea.

Anyway, Quicken has a handy website with the steps needed to upgrade old versions of Quicken.  Depending on how old your version is, you have to convert it first to an intermediate version of Quicken.

In my case, I would need to convert to Quicken 2004 before upgrading to the latest version of Quicken.

What is really handy is that they have other old versions of Quicken available online.  Up to Quicken 2004 anyway.

OK, this is on my to-do list.

Maybe I'll upgrade to 2004 and see if it's good enough for me.  Well, actually 2000 is good enough for me, but 2004 has been tested for the later versions of Windows.

***

OK, installed Quicken 2000 on the laptop.  It turns out that this is Quicken Trial.  Whatever that means.  It expires?  Yeah, it expires after 60 days.  And if you try to register this, you get a broken web page.

I guess I'll try Quicken 2004 later.

[6/26/15] Apparently this Quicken 2000 Trial doesn't expire, because when I start it up, it still says it'll expire in 60 days.

No comments: