Thursday, October 30, 2014

One For All remote control OARUSB04G

(split off from remote control codes)

[10/26/14]

Damn. I lost what I was typing.  OK, let's recap.

Went to the guy who had the DVD-Recorder, but didn't have the remote

Off to Best Buy.
See cheap RCA remotes have code for Roku.  Like $10.95, even cheaper at Amazon.

But looked at rcavideoaudio.com and none of their remotes stated they had support any DVD-R's.

Looking at the Logitech Harmony's, model 650 and 350.  I guess they would work, but pretty expensive.  A little cheaper at Amazon.com.

Then I see the One For All remote.  Model OARUSB04G. For like half the price of the Logtitech..  And I see it comes with a USB cable for connecting to the computer.  Like the Logitech Harmony.  And it has learning capabilities.  And the comments on Amazon say it's JP1 compatible.

OK, let's program it.  Choose Toshiba DVD.  I guess it works, but still can't access the setup menu.

I think the Info button corresponds to the Display button on the Toshiba remote.  And the List button corresponds to the menu/list button.  But I don't see a button corresponding to the Setup button.

My Panansonic TV and Time Warner cable box seem to work fine.

OK, let's try the USB cable.  Connect to computer.  Go to website at simpleset.com.  Has me upload the settings file.  Then choose DVD, only gives me the option of Toshiba, not a particular model number.  So no real difference.

Getting nowhere fast.

There's a list of codes given.  The instruction say SimpleSet codes are used for programming using the On-Remote Setup method outlined in the Getting Started guide.  The problem is I don't see any Getting Started Guide.  [8/14/15 - Now I see it, it's the one page fold-out.]

Let's try the oneforall.com website...  A search turns up no results.  Looking inside the battery cover they another code under the OARUSB04G.  It's URC 6540BE0-XXX-R  Then under that 4408UE.  Then under that MAXQ622X-2576-4.

OK, here's a thread from remotecentral saying similar to the URC-6440.

Then another link to hifi-remote.com.  It has to do with JP1.

What's that?

From wikipedia: A JP1 remote is a type of universal remote, usually with a six-pin interface connector labeled "JP1" in the battery compartment, manufactured by Universal Electronics Inc. The JP1 interface allows the remote to be reprogrammed, adding new code lists and functions. Home theater hobbyists use JP1 to avoid obsolescence.

All JP1 remotes are made by Universal Electronics, Inc.[2] UEI sells various models under their One For All brand name,[3] and supplies remotes to consumer electronic manufacturers such as Radio Shack, Sony, and Sky, as well as North American cable TV providers such as Comcast, Rogers, Cox, Shaw, Charter and Time Warner.[4]

I see a file for Toshiba D-R400.  But what do I do?

OK, here's the place to start for beginners.

Then I went to JP1 For Beginners

[start this separate entry for this One For All remote]

[10/30/14]  More fooling around with the One For All SmartControl Universal Remote.  Model # OARUSB04G.

OK, let's try getting it to work with the AppleTV.  Use the Audio device.

OK, it learned it well enough, but the menu key activates the TV menu.  Change it to to the Guide button.  OK, that works pretty well.

I wonder if I can get it to work with the Roku.

There is a list of codes that came with remote, but no instructions on how to enter the code.

Go to the allforone website, but don't see the manual.  Let's try this 6131 manual.

OK, looks like this will work.

Press and hold the SETUP button.  The TV light blinks twice.
Press the device button (in this case AUDIO).  It blinks once.
Enter the four digit code.  The device button blinks twice.

The Roku code is 1828.  Doesn't work on my Roku HD.  Maybe the Roku is bad?  I'll try it out on my mom's Roku 2.

The Apple code is 1115.  That works.  And the menu key can be used as the menu key.  OK, a small triumph.

Stay tuned.  My mission is still to program it to access the Setup menu on my Toshiba DVD-Recorder.  There are 11 codes for a Toshiba DVD player.  Maybe one of them will work.

***

Nope doesn't seem to work on the Roku 2 either.

Cool,  I see you can download a manual here.  (Have to register for the forum first or you don't see the download button.)

Try learn mode with the Roku 2 remote.  Getting nothing.  Well, I guess makes sense since the Roku 2 remote is not IR.

[8/14/15] Now the remote for my Sony Blu-Ray isn't working very well.  It sometimes works, but you have to be in range and hold the buttons down.  The model is RMT-B104A.  Maybe I should just buy a replacement.  But I want to see if I can program my One For All remote to control it.  Maybe I shouldn't because it's currently programmed for my Toshiba DVD-R.  I do have a replacement remote, but it costs like $25 vs. like $10 for a replacement for the Blu-Ray remote.  (So if the Toshiba goes bad..  But I just popped in the batteries for the Toshiba remote and it worked, so let's try to program the One For All remote for the Sony Blu Ray).

Let's try the instructions in the Getting Started guide
press and hold setup until the TV key blinks twice
press the device key (DVD light blinks once)
point the remote at your device
press and hold the number key (8 is for Sony) until your device tuns off

nope didn't work, let's try the long method

Looking above, the instructions are
Press and hold the SETUP button.  The TV light blinks twice.
Press the device button (in this case DVD).  It blinks once.
Enter the four digit code.  The device button blinks twice.

The codes for Sony are 1516, 1633, 1533, 0533, 1070, 0864, 0772, 1033, 1069, 1431, 1536, 1540, 1548, 2138, 2178, 2180

1516 - partially works, the left and right works, but not the up and down or OK  The power works.
None of the other codes worked at all.

OK, let's see if I can learn some buttons.

How you do that again?  It's in the Roku remote problems entry.

"Hey, why not try to learn the remote with the One For All remote.  OK, look up the manual (OARUSB04G_Manual.pdf).  [I have it downloaded in my One Drive documents folder.]  You have to press and hold the LEARN button, then the device key, then press the button you want to learn.  It flashes.  Then you aim the original remote at the One For All.  If the button is learned, then it flashes twice.  [Then Press and hold the LEARN key to save your settings. The indicator light flashes twice.]"

Hey, seems to work!  Apparently the original remote's signal is weak, but still strong enough for the One For All to learn.

For "top menu", I'll use MENU
For "pop up men", I'll use GUIDE
For "audio", I'll use the red button
For "subtitles", I'll use the green button
For "options", I'll use the blue button

I programmed the EXIT to key to map to RETURN, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

The back and forward buttons are currently programmed to go to the previous and next chapters.  I'll change them to rewind and fast forward.

And I'll change the play button (which is right pointing arrow) to map to advance (15 seconds).  I can use the pause button to double as the play button.

Then let's program the + / - keys (normally used to change the channel) to go to the next and previous chapters.

Can't seem to program the LIST button.  Apparently that's a macro key.  [I now see there's instructions on how to program macros in the manual, but didn't try it yet.]

That leaves the orange key and the record key unmapped.  And I guess all those number keys.

OK, let's use the orange key for TIME.  All that does is change the display to switch from time elapsed to time left when in display mode.

What's left?  The Angle button on the Sony remote.  But that usually isn't supported (at least it isn't on the Life BD that I'm testing with), so I'll skip it for now.  WTH, let's map it to the record buttons, since that's like the only button left.

*** [11/30/15]

As mentioned recently, the One For All remote stopped working right after only about a year.  And instead of buying another One For All remote, I went with a Philips learning remote.

I'm about to toss it, but I'll try one last thing before I toss it.  Reset the remote.

The instructions are on page 16 of the manual (which you have to download, they don't include a complete manual with the remote).

Press and hold the SETUP button until a device key flashes twice.
Press 980.  The indicator light flashes twice

The problem is when I press the 0 key, nothing lights up.  The 0 key is the one that doesn't work (i.e. nothing lights up when you press it).  The other buttons that don't work: TV, GUIDE, right arrow, 3, 4, 0.

OK, I give up.

Wait there's another way.  Connect the remote to the computer with the USB cable.  Go to www.simpleset.com.  There's an option to "Restore Remote".

But when I did that, it downloads a file called settings.bin.  When I tried to copy to the remote, it got an error.  I deleted the settings file on the remote, but still can't upload it.

And now when I press the buttons on the remote, nothing happens.

OK, let's try connect to the laptop.  Download the file to the laptop and copy it to the remote.  Apparently it worked this time.  But now none of the buttons work.

OK, let's try program the DVD player with the quick instructions.  Turn on the Blu-Ray player.  Press and hold the SETUP key until the TV key blinks twice.  Press DVD.  Point remote at Blu-Ray player.  Press and hold 8 (Sony).  Blu-Ray turns off.  OK, seemed to take.  But the following buttons still don't work: GUIDE, right arrow, 3, 0.

OK, I spent enough time on this.  Toss.

Hey, I see a used for sale for $8.99 on eBay.  A brand new one for $14.99 (direct from Best Buy).

No comments: