Wednesday, October 10, 2012

eMachines monitor resolution

My old 17" CRT monitor (CTX that I got from someone, Jeff?) finally went out.  It had been getting a vertical line in the middle of the screen for a while, but I always managed to get it working again by turning off the monitor or pulling out the power plug for a while and plugging it back in.

The problem would occur when I would switch off the monitor to conserve electricity and then when I tried it switch it back on the vertical line would occur.

This time the line occurred while the monitor was on.  After a few attempts to get it back, I figured it was time to let it go.

I hooked up the eMachines monitor that I used in the past (from Evelyn?).  This is a widescreen monitor that measures about 18" diagonally (16" horizontally and about 9-1/4" vertically).  But the resolution looked off.

The resolution for the old CRT I believe was 1024x768 which is a 4:3 ratio.  This other monitor I suppose should use a 16x9 ratio.  So I went to the display properties and chose the highest resolution which is 1366x768 which is pretty close to 16x9 (1.7786458 to 1.7777777).  It looks OK, but the contrast seems a little more harsh than the CRT.  I guess it's an digital picture vs. an analog picture.

The control panel detects it as a generic PnP monitor.  But the Nvidia control panel identifies the monitor as E182H.

Googling that brings up this cnet page which says it's 18.5" monitor with a max resolution of 1366x768.  OK, I guess that's the resolution to set it at.

I still don't like how the colors looks on this monitor.  Let's try some different color schemes.

(Using Vista) Control Panel.  Personalization.  Window Color and Appearance.  open classic appearance properties for more color options.  I see it's set a Windows Aero.

OK, tried that.  Tried changing the brightness and contrast from the monitor controls.  Still don't like it.  I think it's because the white background is too bright.

Tried changed the windows background color to light gray, but it's still white.  I think it might be determined by the browser.

OK, on firefox I changed the settings.  Went to options, options, content, colors, background, and uncheck allow pages to choose their own colors.  Looks less harsh, but the google buttons now look strange (just words surrounded by boxes).

[10/11/12] Changing the background color of some of the documents in google docs (or whatever they call it now).  OK, that's a little better.

No comments: