Friday, May 07, 2010

MAGIX PC Check & Tuning Free

I'm trying out MAGIX PC Check to see if I can get my PC running better (it periodically pauses with hard drive activity - I think it's swapping memory to hard drive cache) as it got a couple of positive responses on frwr_news.

It took a little while to install. Then it took a little while to run and get results.

Finally it came up with a list of things it found, but doesn't do any changes until you tell it to. And gives you the option to set a recovery point to do a system recovery in case something goes wrong.

Anyway, I first tried deleting unnecessary files. To my dismay, it deleted everything in my recycle bin. Well, I guess that's one way to get rid of it. I decided not to do a system recovery.

Then I tried to fix the registry of which it found hundreds of problems. Did that. Didn't seem to matter much. But no disaster so far.

Then it said my swapfile was off. I think I adjusted it manually in the past. So I tried that. Upon reboot, it seemed to load up slower. But task manager showed more memory is free. And the system doesn't seem to slow down as much with long pauses for hard drive activity.

That's enough. I'll leave the other options for later. But so far, so good. Or at least so not bad.

No comments: