Sunday, February 01, 2009

Kokua Wireless

I was trying to clean out Donna's laptop [last week] and on a whim decided to pull out the DSL cable and see if it could detect any networks. There was one called Kokua Wireless and it actually connected.

Apparently this is a free internet service supported by advertising.

Looking at the map, most of the nodes are concentrated in the downtown/chinatown area clustered around the Nuuanu/Hotel/Maunakea street area. But sure enough I see some nodes running at AOP right behind my street. Almost makes me want to buy a laptop just so I can use it.

* * *

The Kokua Wireless community-based project - offering free Wi-Fi - is still up and running nearly two years after its launch in Chinatown, but has undergone a few evolutions. It has expanded outside the borders of Chinatown, and is now in parts of the central business district, Waikiki, and even the zoo.

***

[2/23/13] Bah, I no longer see AOP on the map.

No comments: