Wednesday, December 15, 2004

my new DVR

With the volleyball regionals coming up on CSTV and my HP Media Center still not able to access the DVD drives, I decided to go for it and get a DVD-recorder. It was a Panasonic DMR-E55 on sale at CompUSA. (I bought it there since I had several unused giftcards still lying around.) It must be a fairly new model, judging from the dates of the epinions reviews.

Overall I'm satisfied though I'm still not totally sold on the video quality. It looks a little blocky on close view.

One problem I'm having turns is that when I'm recording something from my DVR it goes into power-save mode thus ruining the recording. I had this happen on my very first recording of the American Idol finale when the message occurred toward the end of the show. I thought I had fixed it by turning off the power off in the DVD-recorder, but it happened again when recording a volleyball game.

It turns out not to be a problem with the DVD recorder, but with the Scientific Atlanta DVR cable box! The box automatically goes into power save mode between the hours of 1 am and 6 am if you don't press a button on the remote within two hours. From what I read, I think the solution is to power off the cable box when recording something unattended between the hours of 1 am and 6 am. (It can't go into power-save mode if it's already off. I would guess.)

OK try again. Good things these DVD-R discs are cheap. 25 for $10 on sale at CompUSA (Memorex).

No comments: